First off, happy B-Day Todd. I am very proud to say that I was the first person to teach you to flip the bird......Sure you don't remember but when you were a couple years old you would hang out with me and Doug in the basement. At the time we found it pretty funny to teach a 2 year old to flip us off while saying "bird". I am sure you have used that gesture wisely over the years.
On another note some of you may have seen the news story about a body found at a Rumpke Recycling plant. Yes that is my operation, so it has been a busy day for me.
Apparently this 26 year old man was either placed in or found shelter in one of our recycling dumpsters. Based upon evidence found we believe he was picked up at a Wendy's on Ridge road in a Frontload truck. There were blood stained Wendy's boxes in the load with the address of the store on them leading us to that conclusion. The really sad part is that we serviced that stop yesterday morning at 9:00am. The load was dumped this morning at 4:45am, so this poor guy spent about 15 hours packed in the truck. Even sadder than that, the driver had 50 more stops after servicing the Wendy's so this guy was compacted that many times. Because the truck is a compaction vehicle the steel used in the holding area is 3/8's to 1/2 inch thick making it nearly impossible to hear someone yell even if they are capable of doing so. Once the truck dumped at the plant one of my loader operators pushed the load onto a baling conveyor where he was discovered by our sorting crew. He was still alive at that time, but didn't last long. I won't go into the details of his condition but rest assured it was pretty gruesome. Those of you that watch Greys Anatomy and saw the story about the guy that got compacted in a garbage truck will know what I mean. Anyway my day involved working with Hamilton Co CSI, Cincinnati police detectives and a boat load of other people. I am going back in tonight at 10 to offer counseling services that are provided by Rumpke to the employees that witnessed the event. As you can imagine some of my guys were pretty torn up after seeing that. Believe it or not we have near misses several times a year with people in dumpsters, most of the time they wake up and yell, or jump out before the truck tips it's load. I just don't understand why anyone would think a dumpster would be a safe place, but they do.
Now somebody post some good news because my day just really sucked...........Brad
4 comments:
Ugh .. that's really horrible and made me sick. I can't imagine what he must have felt .. for 15 hours!!! I really hope his body was in such shock he couldn't feel anything.
In other news .. will you please be sure to bring the microwave and my blackberry when you come to the apartment tomorrow?!?! =) THANK YOU!!!
Oh .. also thinking about having a grill-out this weekend. I told mom. It would be fun!
Wow, how awful. I hadn't heard anything on the news yet, but I bet there will be a lot of coverage. I'm sure this was a very stressful day for you and your crew.
Can you imagine the terror this poor soul endured while going thru this ordeal.I agree with Britt I hope he was in a state of shock or something similar.Yes I saw this on the news and said a silent prayer for both him,you and your whole crew.
Absolutely devastating. There are no words...
Post a Comment