Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Saga of the Christmas Fruit Cake...

Dad has mentioned to me many times over the years how much he LOVES fruit cake. Hard to believe, huh? With all those bouncy little cubes of fake fruit, I could never imagine how that could be possible. Ugh!

But, since I aspire to be a good daughter, this year I thought I'd give Dad a special treat and bake him a fruit cake... one with REAL fruit and nuts instead of those jellied red and green mystery bits. I had seen an interesting recipe in a magazine that included all kinds of crock pot recipes and thought I'd give it a try.

After picking up a pound of pecan halves, a pound of dried mixed fruits and some golden raisins from the store, I carefully followed the recipe. After combining the ingredients, I poured the fruit cake batter into the souffle dish and placed the dish into my crock pot. I set the crock pot to high and the timer to 6 hours.

About 4 hours later the entire house smelled wonderful, a combination of warm fruit, nuts and rum. YUM! Two hours after that, as directed in the recipe, I removed my fruity creation from the crock. But instead of the delicious masterpiece depicted in the magazine, I discovered a cross between a charcoal briquette and a hockey puck!!! Twenty dollars worth of ingredients had been tranformed into something that could be used as a weapon!

Mike and I tried our best to salvage the cake by cutting off the burned portions, much as you might do to a burnt piece of toast. But unfortunately, what was left was only the size of a baseball. Not something I could proudly give to my Dad, the fruit cake connoisseur.

So, against the advice of all my friends at work (one who has a culinary degree), I decided to try again, this time cutting back the cooking time significantly.

Hallelujah!!! Four hours did the trick (well almost... if I lop off another 30 minutes, I think next year's cake will be perfect). So anyway, I presented the second fruit cake to Dad on Christmas Eve and I think it was a hit! Dad said he really liked it and Mom did too. And to my surprise I found that I like fruit cake after all... as long as it contains real fruit and hasn't been cooked into a chunk of blacktop.

So, Happy Fruit Cake, Dad!! I hope you enjoyed it! It was defintely a labor of love! :-)

3 comments:

Papaw said...

Sandy you really out did your self on the fruitcake debacle.But your persistance and determination on the second time around was worthy of a master chef.
I really appreciate your effort,as well as the big half of the fruit cake thats in my frig.Yum Yum .How lucky can one guy get to have a daughter That goes all out for her Dad.I love YOU.

Jeff said...

And he didn't even bring me any when he came up here today!

Linda said...

Okay, I really want to try that fruitcake!