Thursday, September 10, 2009

Nikki Update

Hey guys!

I just wanted to stop by and let everyone know how I'm doing...

I'm still working pretty hard, but I'm starting to get the hang of my role, not only as a counselor, but also as an adult in life. The small changes I get to witness in my clients act as motivating factors to keep me involved with this job/field. But, trust me when I say that there are so many negative experiences that come along with these positives. Just the other day I met with a new client and within fifteen minutes of meeting her she had already decided that she "hated me," so she tuned me out by plugging her ears, leaving the room multiple times, getting an attitude with me, and picking apart everything I said to/did with her. (This is what we call Oppositional Defiant Disorder, by the way :) Of course, what I want to say to her is, "I'm glad you aren't MY child." But, I know that this is the exact reason she's been placed in my life. I can be used as her vessel of hope for a better present and future, as long as I stay strong and confident, yet understanding. As my mom has ALWAYS told me, patience is a virtue. And now I understand why it is so hard to come by, yet why it is so rewarding to have. My patience, my sanity, my strength, my courage... These are all things that are being tested. And, right now, I'd have to say that I'm getting a passing grade. :)

On a funny note, I met with an eight-year old today and she recited "My Country 'Tis of Thee." "...Sweet lam on liverty, Of vee I pee..." There's something so precious about a child who doesn't know all the right words to a song, don't you think?!

"...Let freelum bring..."

Nikki }i{

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Thanks for the update Nikki. So glad you are coming to terms with you job and understand the value in it.

It is so cool that you can quote your mom in this context. You can definitely hear in your words how much you respect what she has taught you. A mom can't ask for more than that!!

Papaw said...

Considering your busy seven days a week schedule it's very good to hear from you. Youre mom reminded me only yesterday that something i'v told all my kids ,and I think it has served them well.......If its worth doing then do it right.I'm sure you will have no trouble adopting this creedo to help you continue to do your rewarding life's calling....love Ya..sweety!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW NIKKI, YOU CERTAINLY HAVE A FULL PLATE. YOU ARE A VERY SPECIAL YOUNG WOMAN.....NO WONDER THE WHOLE FAMILY ADMIRES YOU...

Linda said...

Wow! Look at my baby! She's all grown up!

You are an inspiration to me Nikki! I thank God for your compassionate nature and caring spirit.

Love,
Marmie

Amanda said...

I'm not kidding - you need to compile all these stories and write a book!