Don't be afraid... that dorsal fin belongs to a bottle-nose dolphin... not a shark! Mike and I spent last week in Tybee Island, Georgia (near Savannah) and one of our favorite vacation activities was dolphin watching. Believe it or not, dolphins seemed to be everywhere! We watched them from the beach almost every day and went for a dolphin watching cruise in the backwaters, where this guy came up to the boat to meet us.
Even though dolphins were abundant, we did run into a couple sharks as well. This little one wasn't too happy to meet Mike.
There was quite a bit of 'weird stuff' on the beach each day. One of the weirdest (and yuckiest) was this severed shark's head.
This horseshoe crab looked more like an alien than a sea creature. YUCK!!
This picture is for Papaw! U.S. 80, which ends in Tybee, is the Korean War Veteran Memorial Highway. This monument stands at the end of the highway and honors veterans of the Korean War.

This picture is for Bethany and shows the carnival/seafood festival set of the new Miley Cyrus movie that is being filmed in Tybee this summer. The carnival was set up on the beach while we were there. As I think I mentioned previously Greg Kinnear and Kelly Preston are also part of the movie. "The Last Song" will be out next summer some time. Check it out for some great views of Tybee.
One thing for sure, Georgia has some awesome scenery, which may be partly why Disney decided to shoot The Last Song in Tybee. I thought the marshes were really awesome...in the daytime....

3 comments:
Wow! Love the pics...the severed head was super freaky!
Wow what memories those costal area pictures bring to back to me .Neato Huh?After spending every summer of my youth in Georgia I think it and the people are super.Yes and I even spent my freshman year of high school at Chatsworth High School........Funny you had a run in with a horseshoe crab.Do you know they survived the Ice Age? I happened to be watching the Nature channel on T V this weekend and they had a part of the program about the horseshoe crab.They even pre-date the dinosaurs.Old T-Rex couldn't hack it but the lowley crab did .Ugly yes but long lasting you bet.Okay enough of the Zoology class and back to the wonderful coastal area of our beautiful country.If you haven't been there ,you just gotta go someday.!!!!!
P.S...The dolphins are realy neat.When I served aboard the aircraft carrier they would gather at the bow of the ship and keep cris-crossing for hours at a time. Ain't nature neat???
Post a Comment