Sunday, April 26, 2009

THE MOMENT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR...

I'm sorry for the delay!  Not only am I a procrastinator, but I've been
very busy lately and under a lot of overwhelming stress.  So, for those of you who have been wondering where I am, here's your update:

I am in my fifth month working at the Children's Home of Cincinnati as a behavioral health counselor.
  To put it mildly, this job is more than I expected it to be: more work, more
 responsibilities, more stress.  I'm learning a lot, but I feel like I'm being tested to see how strong of a person I am and how far I will be able to push my comfort level without completely falling apart.  I'd always thought it was a bit strange when my professors told me that counselors should also seek out therapy for themselves...
Not so strange to me now though. This field 
literally has the ability to make people go CRAZY! 
There's so little help for people with mental illnesses and, yet, such a high demand for it. 
As a result, those who have the courage to take this field head-on are stuck with a lot of work, far more than can be completed in a mere 40-hour/week time frame.

But, have no fear... Among other things, a notion that gives me strength to do this job every day is knowing that I have a greater purpose in life, bigger than myself and my own desires. I have been so blessed to have wonder family members and a great upbringing that I feel it is my duty to give back to those less fortunate than myself.

On a lighter note, one of my favorite new hobbies is photography.  I've kinda even become the go-to photographer in our family every time a picture needs to be taken :) Scattered throughout are a few of my favorite pictures for all of you to see!

Peace and love.

Nikki Sue }i{

(or as Aunt Sandy said it, Nicole Suzanne!) 

P.S. Matt, you've officially been called out (to be the next blogger, that is).


4 comments:

Linda said...

Nikki - the post was worth the wait. I'm so proud of your efforts and praise God for the talent and motivation to help others He instilled in you. You have chosen a very difficult field, no doubt about it!

Your work with Children's Home of Cincinnati will not go without its rewards. Unfortunately, those rewards may not be seen immediately and others, sadly, some may never be revealed to you. But you can rest assured that the relationships you forge with your clients will bear fruit! Stay steadfast and genuine. You are still in a learning process.

It's true, you are the PREMIER photographer in our family. The images you capture are incredible! And you accomplish all this with a simple point-and-click digital camera. Imagine what you could do if you had more sophisticated equipment! It just goes to show that the most important component in photography is having the eyes of a true artist.

Thanks for the update and the pics. Don't be a stranger to this blog. The family loves hearing from you!

Love,
Marmie

Sandy said...

Thanks Nikki! You have definitely chosen very challenging work. I can attest to the great need for therapists like you, having worked in healthcare for many years.

I know it's not exactly the same, but I remember having some very similar feelings as a new grad with my first job as a nurse in the hematology/oncology/bone marrow transplant department.

I absolutely felt that I was not cut out to work with kids and families who are experiencing the most devastating physical and emotional crisis of their lives. Providing care and support to families with such great need can be a huge burden on the caregivers as well.

It was a very long time before I thought I might "fit" the role and even longer before I felt comfortable with my skills and that the work I did was actually helping the families get through it.

I was very fortunate that the other nurses and the APNs in the clinic were such a steadfast support system for me. Had I not had them to act as my therapists over the years, I would have left the clinic long before I did. As it stands I spent 18 years doing what I didn't think I'd be able to do.

So, Nikki, not to give you advice, but I agree that it is very important for you to find your own support system in relation to your job, whether that is a therapist or a peer group.

What you do is very valuable but we sure don't want you to burn out before you have had the opportunity to find out it this is truly your life's calling.

I am very proud of you and think you have an enormous amount to offer your clients, just please take care of yourself, too!

P.S. I have heard of your awesome photography skills (and I think I've seem some of your work here on the blog, if I'm not mistaken).
Very nice!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I FEEL TRULY BLESSED TO BE THE OWNER OF YOUR OLD CAMERA....

Papaw said...

Welcome to the real world sweetheart.I have no doubt in my mind that you can handle it.With your Christian Upbringing and the backing of a very loving family,the future is yours.I won,t say it will be easy but I will say if anybody can do it you can.I realize that today kids are facing a lot more deamons than we of the older generation had to deal with,but the problems are not unsolvable.Yes,I agree dealing with every type of mental disorders can be extremely frustrating.Me being Memaws care giver has certainly opened my eyes to things I never dreamed of.....I'll make a deal with you sweetie you don,t give up and I certainly wont......Deal ?