Monday, March 2, 2009

Blast from the past...

You'd think I'd be embarrassed by these old photos, but I actually love looking at them and reminiscing! Here are the Powers girls outside Meemaw and Papaw's trailer in 1988. Who can forget that place? Doughnut holes for breakfast, fishing with Papaw, swimming in the lake, riding on the pontoon boat...what are your memories?

I love that I'm wearing my jean jacket (I thought I was so cool in that thing) and that Lana has binoculars around her neck. Nik's just a little peanut here!

6 comments:

Papaw said...

Dang it Amanda you just brought tears to my eyes.I remember all the good times we as a family shared at our little hide away at LAKE JAMES .You're right,I still miss those donut holes for breakfast,especilly when we got back to the trailer to count how many we got in our bag.I suspect you little guys always got the most because,well you were little guys.What memories this brings back It was the best thing I ever did and Meems and I will always remember all these wonderful times. I'm sure each family has fond memories of our little outings at the lake. It would please me if their is any other pic's or stories you remember that you could share with the blog.Don't be bashful 'cause it can never happen again and we need to hold on to them.

Nikki said...

I have RANDOM memories...

Of playing Old Maid with some people in the front screened-in porch... (The Old Maid had on a purple coat and wore a hat with a flower coming out of it, by the way)
Of drinking chocolate milk in the mornings...
Of some party with family I barely knew...
Of fishing on the lake and never catching any fish (but the really small ones)...

That's about all I can remember, being a "peanut" at the time and all!

Sandy said...

Wow! I have tons of memories from Lake James! Remember Meemaw and Papaw's first boat? ...the red one named "Bottom's Up" with the syringe painted on the back?

I remember Todd catching his very first fish (and being afraid of it...I have a picture to prove it) and Evan catching HIS very first fish wearing his Chris Sabo T-shirt (another picture). hehehe

Didn't we ALL love Tom's donuts?? And what about that restaurant up the hill that served awesome sausage gravy and biscuits??

I could go on and on but I'll give the rest of you an opportunity to share YOUR memories instead.

Papaw said...

Sandy, spesking of our speed boat was it Todd or Evan who had the wild ride on a choppy Lake James before they were even born?I think you were eight and a half months pregnant and the boat was really pounding on those waves.It didn't scare me till we got back to the dock and Meems chewed me out and then I realized what could have happened.By the way the boats name was "REAR GUNNER" hence the big syringe painted on the rear end.

Sandy said...

Ah yes! That would have been Evan.

Rear Gunner...that's right. I do remember that syringe though.

Kristi said...

I remember walking down to the docks with Memaw and feeding the fish Nerds candy while my family and Papaw were out on the boat.
Who would have thought that fish liked Nerds? It was fun to watch them eat some colors and spit the others out. Those were the days...