Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Adam Update...

Adam is doing well. Like my mom posted in her response he was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and has been started on medication for this which they think is helping (this explains his weight, shortness of breath and extremely dry skin). They have him on oxygen (via nasal cannula) and he says he feels a lot better. They also believe he has sleep apnea due to his weight (Bethany you now have company!). They have had him on CPAP at the hospital but he will need to do a sleep study to see if he will remain on the CPAP at night.

He has been at University Hospital since last Thursday and they have done numerous tests. Initially they did blood work (which confirmed the hypothyroidism) and an ultrasound of his heart which revealed a grapefruit sized mass pushing on his heart and fluid around his heart. From there they have done CT scans and an MRI to try to get more information about this mass. All we know is that the MRI of his head came back normal. Unfortunately the doctors/nurses have not updated my parents on any of the other test results. Everytime they ask for new information they are told that they are still waiting on results, or the surgeons are unavailable, or they are doing another test. It has been a very frustrating process since we seem to have the same amount of information that we had last Thursday.

However, last night I was told by my parents that they are talking about discharging him today - with still no information about the mass or the fluid around is heart and what they plan to do about it. So as of right now we are waiting for a call with information or with news that they are discharging him. Hopefully we will get some information before they send him home. We will keep you updated.

5 comments:

Papaw said...

Our prayers are with Adam and the whole family.Keep us posted.

Amanda said...

We're praying for the best...and for answers. Please let us know the progress.

Sandy said...

Please keep us posted, Kristi!

I hope they don't discharge Adam without providing all the results and a treatment plan to your mom and dad.

Jeff said...

I too hope they get it together and come up with a plan to take care of this. Good luck to you Adam. I know you're tough. Hang in there.

I use a CPAP every night too. No big deal.

And I know I'm up next. I'm thinkin'..........

caveman said...

I hope Adam is feeling better , He is in our thoughts and prayers. Cpap took some getting use to for Bethany but after nine years she' a pro but it will make a world of difference.Let us know how Adam's doing.
Aunt Kim