Saturday, March 7, 2009

Scottie and the Wiz would be SO proud of me...

For whatever reason, a few months ago my PC quit recognizing my DVD drive. Quite a pain in the behind! I couldn't play or burn CDs or DVDs, which really limited what I could do on my PC.

So, a couple weeks ago I decided enough is enough and trekked down to MicroCenter to buy a replacement drive. Todd installed the new one for me but as luck would have it, my PC didn't 'see' that drive either. Apparently the drive was not the problem after all. Durn!

After doing some Google searches I discovered that the problem was probably not my hardware, but a setting in the Registry. Now, if you know anything about computers, and are not an expert technician or a wizard (like Scottie and Jeff) you probably know that messing with the Registry is extremely dangerous, especially if you don't know what you are doing (which I don't).

It took me a bit of time to gather up the courage, but it was driving me crazy that this computer thing was getting the best of me. So, I backed up my files and forged my way into unknown territory!!

Thank heaven!! The instructions on the web guided me through the process, step by step, and GUESS WHAT!!! My PC and my DVD drive are now talking to each other again!! YAY!!

The by-product of that adventure is that I have an EXTRA DVD drive that does not have a home. If you are in need of an internal SATA DVD RW drive with LightScribe (that most probably works just fine), let me know. The first person who comes to get it can take it home with them!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I honestly don't even know what a DVD Drive is...I'm THAT clueless about computers!

Papaw said...

Duh.......Say what?????????????

Anonymous said...

SANDY....I WISH YOU WOULD HAVE CALLED ME TO LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM YOU WERE HAVING WITH YOUR
COMPUTER....I COULD HAVE FIXED IT FOR YOU OVER THE PHONE...BY THE WAY,HOW DO POST PICTURES ON THE
BLOG......UNCA JERRY

Sandy said...

Amanda... the drive allows you to burn and play CDs and DVDs on your computer. So you can create music CDs you can play in your car and DVDs that you can play on your regular DVD player.

Paps... I have nothing....

Unca J. I'll definitely call you next time. hahah

Sandy said...

Unca J. Here's how to post a picture:

Go to the Post screen as you always do. On the bar above the typing space where you write your blog entry there are some icons. Look for the one that looks like a picture -third from the right. (If you hold you mouse cursor over it it says "Add Image".

Click that icon.

This will open another screen called Upload Images. Here you can find a picture that is on your computer or one that is on the web. You will probably want to add a picture from your computer so to find it click the Browse button. If the picture is not in My Documents, find the location of your picture (where did you save it??) by clicking the down arrow next to My Documents and choosing the location where the picture resides (My Pictures, Desktop, etc.). Once you have the correct location identified, use the horizontal scroll bar below the list of contents to find the picture you want to post. Double click on the name of the picture, choose a layout and click Upload Image.

Click Done on the Upload Images screen and return to you post.

You should see the picture you uploaded and will be able to add text to the post as well, same as always.

Let me know if you have questions.

Papaw said...

I'm still at a loss on what you are saying.I only graduated from the sixth grade.I,m sure uncle J D could have helped you cause Nana told me he graduated frm the seventh.The smarty pants!!!!!!!!!