Monday, March 16, 2009

Calling All Nurses!

One of my senior students at Withrow has expressed interest in becoming a nurse. She has applied to a few programs and would VERY MUCH like the opportunity to shadow a nurse for a day (or even half) to see and experience what the job is like. She doesn't know exactly what area she'd like to focus on, but she's leaning towards pediatrics. She is a VERY responsible, friendly, mature young woman and I was wondering if ANY of the nurses of the family could help me out. Withrow's Spring Break is next week (March 23-27) so she could come any time during the week; she has saved "professional experience" hours so she could also come during the school day (7:50am-2:10pm) in following weeks. Please let me know if you can help :-)

5 comments:

Sandy said...

I'm not sure it would be possible, but if she wanted to shadow at Children's I think she would need to go through Recruitment and Retention and she would have to go through the same type of screening an employee would go through when they are being hired. Children's is very careful and very particular about allowing non-employees in clinical areas.

She might also consider being a volunteer. She wouldn't be shadowing, but she would be able to see what it's like to work in a hospital and interact with the kids, their parents and the staff.

Kristi said...

I would love to help but unfortunately I am still in training myself then I go on maternity leave. If she is still interested you can give her my email address and after I get back from leave I can try to help her out (though I will be on 3rd shift 7pm-7:30am).

LanaP0wers said...

Kristi-I will definitely take you up on your offer. I'll give her your email address and have her contact you.

Aunt Sandy-Who would she contact to find out more about volunteering?

Sandy said...

Lon-

Have her check out this webpage:
http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/give/volunteer/default.htm

Sandy said...

Okay. The whole link did not save. After volunteer it should say:

/default.htm