For the second year in a row, my clients at Urban Active participated in an 8 week Biggest Loser contest from mid October until mid December (2008). This year, the number of participants grew to 15 (I had 8 in 2007) and I recruited another trainer, Bill, and a few of his clients. Everyone received a booklet that included 8 weeks worth of workout plans, meal suggestions, fundamentals, adn extra guidance. This year, I developed a bootcamp clients came to on Sundays and Bill and I took turns overseeing/running it. Some people particpated with the goal of losing weight, some set their sights on gaining lean muscle, and others joined in just to gain motivation and get back on track.

Everyone was weighed and measured at the start, at the 4 week mark, and at the 8 week conclusion. On Dec 14th, we met at O'Charley's to celebrate 2 months of hard work. Together, the group lost just over 85 pounds, 64.3% body fat, and 193 inches!

I can't begin to explain how proud I am of everyone who participated...the age and fitness levels of the participants fell into a very wide range and I'm especially proud of those who had to step outside of their comfort zone to complete the competition.
Throughout the course of the program, many of the participants thanked me and told me that I inspired them...but the truth is - THEY have inspired me. Just like last year, I'm reminded of WHY I became a trainer. It's not just about the pounds and inches...and it's definitely not about an 8 week competition. It's about helping people improve the overall quality of their lives...it's about helping someone initiate a physical change that in turn, brings about a positive mental change.

I became a personal trainer because of MY interest in fitness and the important role that health and wellness play in MY life. But over the course of the last few years, my passion for fitness has been elevated by seeing and being part of the transformation of others.
.

4 comments:
WAY TO GO LANA...GREAT JOB..
WOW SUCH TALENTED PEOPLE IN OUR FAMILY....
Lana,....Why am I not surprised that things that you set your mind to are a rousing success? After all you are your mothers daughter and no one has the sticktoativity (did I just coin a new word?)that she has when her mind is made up! Your concern and caring for others is a blessed attribute and you make Meems and I glad to be a part of your life.
thanks Papaw and Unca Jerry. I LOVE training and since college, I've truly developed a PASSION for health and wellness. Ironically, it was in my second to last year of undergrad that I found out I HAD to have a minor (all educ majors do at Cumberland) so I asked my advisor which one I could finish in time to still graduate in 5 years (I was already there an extra year because of student teaching)..and my advisor said Public Health...I'm SO glad she did!
That's a cool story, Lon. Some things are just meant to be!
Post a Comment