Saturday, January 17, 2009

Bethany Update

First of Bethany is now home from the Hospital and is packing for her Girl Scout Winter Conference.
Sorry to have alarmed anyone with the issue she had yesterday.
Basically what happened is that during a bronchial scope procedure she aspirated into he lungs. As I understand it during the procedure the patient is put under anesthesia, but not fully knocked out. The idea is to use the scope to watch the patient sleep to help determine the root cause of breathing issues including sleep apnea. The Dr's watch how her pallet and tongue interact during the sleeping process. Well apparently when they began inserting the scope, she gagged, turned blue for about 15 seconds and then threw up into her lungs. The Dr's quickly put her into a deeper sleep, inti bated her and got her stable. At that point they used suction to remove as much of the liquid from her lungs as possible. Once they felt good about the situation they completed the scope procedure and sent her to recovery. She had breathing issues upon waking up and was put on oxygen. This was because her oxygen saturation levels dropped into the low 80's. Over the course of the evening she was weaned off of the oxygen and is feeling much better now. It does appear from the results of the tests that she will need to under go a jaw distraction surgery, don't know when that will happen, but will keep you posted.
As I said, now all is well and she looks and says she feels fine. She felt bad that Kim and I could not attend Randys' big 5-0, but like I told her we have a great family and everyone will understand.
That's about it. Caveman out

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Hey Bee! I am very glad you are doing better. I'm sure that was scary for you and your mom and dad. But, once again, the fighter in you got it done!!

I think you should take it easy the rest of the weekend and have your dad wait on you! :-)

Anonymous said...

HEY BRAD...I HAVE KIDS TOO AND YOU HAVE TO ATTEND TO THEIR NEEDS ABOVE EVERYTHING ELSE. IF YOU DIDN'T, YOU WOULDN'T BE A GOOD DAD.
FOR YOUR INFO....THIS FAMILY IS FULL OF GOOD DADS AS YOU WELL KNOW.
OUR PRAYERS GO OUT TO BETHANY UNTIL
THIS WHOLE ORDEAL OF SLEEP-APNEA
IS NOTHING MORE THAN A BAD MEMORY..
BY THE WAY, WE GOT RANDY GOOD...HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT HIT HIM..AND A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL WHO ATTENDED.....UNCA JERRY

Papaw said...

Geez Baby bee as the old saying goes "If you don't have bad luck,you would have no luck at all".....Im so glad you're back home and feeling well.Our prayers have been answered.....Love ya!

Linda said...

I had no idea this happened! Thank God B's alright!