Saturday, November 29, 2008

Manda-
In addition to Papaw's molasses cookies, make sure you also put me down for the Montgomery Inn Meatballs and the chocolate dessert (not exactly sure what it will be yet...something good, something bite-sized, something chocolatey...something cookie-ish or brownie-ish. I vaguely recall these chocolate cookies I made years ago for a Dunn family thing...I think they were made with some type of cereal...Todd and Zae killed em. I'll have to see if i can google em, lol!

Here's a witty little story for you Papaw (since I know how much you enjoy a joke or two). My own family has already heard it.

Last year, I was passing back graded work to my students and while some students earned good scores, others didn't. One student in particular, Kisha, looked down at the D she received on her quiz and exclaimed, "oh my god!" in disappointment. Now, I've heard MUCH WORSE come from my students mouths, but nevertheless, I stood motionless and my spine straightened out...I remembered all the times that mom corrected us when we accidentally (and it was ALWAYS accidentally) used the Lord's name in vain. I thought about letting it go because in the grand scheme of things and in comparison to the daily problems I deal with at school, her comment was harmless. Mom's influence prompted me to turn towards Kisha and in true Linda Powers fashion, I light-heartedly replied, "he's MY God, too." She looked at me puzzled, and didn't quite understand the point I was trying to make. She looked back down at her quiz again, shook her her head, and said "Oh OUR God!"

4 comments:

Amanda said...

That's funny...I've never heard that story. Funny how mom's always in the back of your head, huh?

Linda said...

Perfect example of how education in the classroom is not confined to the subject on the class schedule. Teachers have a unique opportunity to reach students - teaching valuable life-lesson along the way. I love teachers! And I love you, Lana! Keep up the great work.

Sandy said...

Lon, I can just hear Linda's words coming out of your mouth!! :-)

But, seriously, I agree with what your mom has posted. It's so cool that you bring so much more to the classroom than lectures, exams and formal lesson plans. Way to be a role model, Lana!

Anonymous said...

THAT JUST GOES TO PROVE THAT THE FUNNIEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE THOSE THAT ARE REAL AND TRUE. NO WRITER COULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT...UNCA JERRY